A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, allows a secure connection to another network via the internet. It can be useful for accessing resources on a business or personal network while out of the local area or for ensuring data security when using public Wi-Fi networks.
- VPN: Virtual Private Network. Encrypts the connection from an endpoint to a network, often over the Internet.
- Endpoint: A device that communicates back to a network.
- Protocol: Rules governing the data transmission across a network. Common VPN protocols include PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, and OpenVPN.
- Tunneling: Process of transmitting private network data and traffic across public networks.
Why Set Up a VPN Connection?
VPN connections are primarily established to ensure data security and privacy. In the context of Windows 11, using a VPN helps in:
- Securing data transmissions while on public networks.
- Accessing remote data and resources in a secure manner.
- Bypassing geographic restrictions on certain online content.
Setting Up VPN Connections in Windows 11
Open the Start Menu and select Settings.
Choose Network & Internet.
From the left pane, click on VPN.
Select the + Add a VPN connection option.
In the Add a VPN connection window:
- For the VPN provider, select Windows (built-in).
- In the Connection name field, type a recognizable name for the VPN connection.
- In the Server name or address field, input the server's address. (We recommend this VPN Service)
- For VPN type, choose the type of VPN connection required, based on what the VPN service provider supports (e.g., PPTP, L2TP, SSTP).
- Under Type of sign-in info, select the desired method (usually Username and password).
- Input the Username and Password provided by the VPN service.
- Click Save.
After saving, the new VPN connection will appear in the VPN section.
To connect, click on the VPN connection name and then click the Connect button.
Utilizing a VPN in Windows 11 enhances security and accessibility. Whether for personal or professional use, it's a valuable feature to understand and implement.