Owners of 6th-generation Honda Civics (1996-2000) are often troubled by failing power windows and central locking systems. Notably, in these Hondas, the two systems are interconnected. A single issue can simultaneously disrupt both functionalities. This article, accompanied by the video, sheds light on the common causes and provides solutions to these problems.
For ease during the fixing process, it's advisable to have an Interior Trim Removal Kit, which can be sourced from the previously mentioned link.
Common Issues in Honda Civic (1996-2000)
Both the central locking and power windows can present problems, often due to interconnected system failures. Here are some prevalent issues and their solutions:
Issue nº 1: Wiring Malfunctions
The first issue revolves around broken or malfunctioning wiring. Here's how to address it:
- Remove the Front Side-Panel (Fender): Begin by taking off the front side-panel or fender.
- Inspect for Broken Wires: Check if there are any visible signs of wear or damage to the wiring.
- Cut Off the Connector: If damaged wires are found, the next step is to cut off the connector.
- Attach Extension Wires: Connect extension wires ensuring each connection is thoroughly isolated to prevent any shorts.
- Work on the Inner Door Panel: Remove the door card, cut wires from the inner connector, and then connect them to the outer wires using the corresponding color codes. This ensures that the connections are consistent and accurate.
- Reassemble: Once done, ensure everything is put back in place.
Issue nº 2: Power Window Motor Malfunctions
This issue pertains to common motor malfunctions within the system. Solutions for motor-related problems include:
- Check Motor Wiring: Inspect the wires connecting to the power window motor for any signs of damage or wear.
- Replace Motor: If the power window motor itself is malfunctioning, it may need replacement.
- Lubricate Moving Parts: Sometimes, the motor might be working, but the moving parts could be jammed. In such cases, lubricating can help.
Issue nº 3: System Misalignment
The third issue, while somewhat rare, revolves around the misalignment of the power window system. The solution involves realigning the window on its tracks and lubricating it with a Silicone-based Spray to ensure smooth operation.
By understanding the common issues and their respective solutions, owners of Honda Civic (1996-2000) can quickly diagnose and fix their power windows and central locking systems. Always ensure safety precautions are taken during the fixing process, and when in doubt, consult with a professional mechanic.